Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The War Rages On

Well, I never thought I would say this, but I am happy to be at work today. Trevor put up quite an honorable attempt to win his battle for control over nap time yesterday. Four hours later... yes you read that correctly, it took me four hours of putting him back in bed to get him down for his nap. I couldn't believe he had so much stamina. He almost won!

I've never felt so defeated and like such a poor excuse for a mother. Tom and I decided that we wanted to try to discipline Trevor without spanking. It just doesn't work on him. Unfortunately, sometimes parenting patterns from both of our childhoods (mostly mine) take over. Yesterday was one of those days and it makes me sick! During that four hour battle, I did everything I said I didn't want to do. I screamed, I spanked him and I ended up in tears over it all. How is it possible that he can push my buttons so quickly?

I did eventually win and he went to sleep in his bed. The night battle for bed time was much shorter only about 20 minutes. Thankfully, Tom took a turn last night.

We're going to a World Cup qualifying match tonight, so I'm sure tonight's clash will be amplified. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

The Foley 5 said...

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear Trevor is giving you a hard time! I think that your consistancy will pay off ... hopefully sooner rather than later!

Unknown said...

Don't feel bad... I wanted to strangle my precious little Kate last night when she wouldn't go to sleep... argh! It's amazing what sleep deprivation will do to a parent. ;-) LOL! Hang in there sweetie!